Getting Started

Embarking on a new phase comes with exciting opportunities and important steps to take. Our Getting Started guide is here to ease your transition and provide you with essential information to navigate this new journey with confidence. From setting up vital services like Wi-Fi and banking, understanding local transport, to ensuring your safety and exploring employment opportunities, we’ve compiled a comprehensive resource to support you every step of the way. Let’s dive into the details and empower you to make the most of your experience, whether it’s on campus or in a new city. Your journey starts here, and we’re here to help you make it a smooth and successful one.

View articles that will help you get started at Principia College.

How do I set up campus Wi-Fi network?

To register any device with a browser follow these steps:
  • Connect the device to the “Principia” wireless network. The password for this network is “1234567890”.
  • Once connected, open the device’s browser and navigate to “”.
  • Click on the “Register” option on the website and proceed to follow the provided instructions

How do I open a Bank account?

To open a bank account in the U.S, you typically need:
  • Valid photo ID (driver’s license, passport, or state ID)
  • Social Security Number (SSN) 
  • Proof of address( I-20)
  • Minimum age of 18 (varies)
  • Initial deposit (varies)
  • Visa or immigration status (for non-U.S. citizens)
  • Employment or income information
Requirements may vary by bank. Contact your chosen bank for precise details.

Can I use a Debit/Credit card from my country in the U.S.?

Yes, you can use your international debit/credit card in the U.S. Ensure your card has major payment network logos (Visa, MasterCard, etc.), be aware of potential fees, and notify your bank before travel.

How can I apply for Social Security?

You can apply for a Social Security Number (SSN) in the U.S. by either visiting an SSA office or applying online. Ensure eligibility, gather required documents, and follow the application process.

Can I work on Campus?

Yes, you can work up to 20 hrs per week during the academic year and full-time during school breaks.

How do I set up my H20 Sim Card?

To activate the SIM, you have two options: use your SIM number for online activation on the H2O website, or call the H2O activation line(1-800-643-4926). Follow the prompts on the website or during the call. Once activated, restart your phone for the changes to take effect.

What are the Safety numbers to call

-Call 911 For direct contact with police or fire department dispatch.
-Emergency Campus Security: Extension 5111 or 618-374-5111. Use this number for ALL emergencies on campus.

These numbers should be saved and easily accessible for quick response during critical situations.