International Travel

If you’re considering traveling outside the U.S. during your studies, it’s important to be well-informed about the necessary procedures and documentation. This section provides you with essential information to ensure smooth international travel while maintaining your student status. Whether you’re planning a trip to your home country or exploring other destinations, read on to understand the requirements and steps for hassle-free travel.

View articles that will help you understand international travel whilst in the U.S.

Can I travel outside of the U.S. during my studies?

Yes, you can travel outside the U.S. during your studies, but there are certain requirements and documents you’ll need to consider before leaving and re-entering the country.

What documents do I need to travel internationally as an international student?

Depending on where you are traveling to, please check the exact requirements of your destination country. To re-enter the U.S., you will need a valid passport, a valid U.S. visa stamp, a Form I-20 endorsed for travel (signed by your Designated School Official within the last 12 months).

Can I travel to countries other than my home country during my studies?

Yes, you can travel to countries other than your home country during your studies. Ensure you meet the entry requirements for those countries and have the necessary visas if required.

What should I do if my visa is expiring soon?

If your visa is expiring while you are abroad, you’ll need to apply for a new visa at a U.S. consulate or embassy in your home country or another country in which you have legal status before returning to the U.S. If you are within the U.S., the expiration of your visa does not affect your legal status. As long as you remain enrolled as a student and are otherwise in good status, you are okay. However, if/when you go outside the United States, you will need a valid visa to re-enter.